Vigil held for 3 children killed in house fire - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Vigil held for 3 children killed in house fire

Posted: Updated:
Friends and family brought stuffed toys, balloons and lit candles as they gathered to remember three young siblings killed in a house fire and pray for a fourth child who remains hospitalized. Friends and family brought stuffed toys, balloons and lit candles as they gathered to remember three young siblings killed in a house fire and pray for a fourth child who remains hospitalized.
Taty'ana Hughes Taty'ana Hughes
Trinity (left) Tai'zah (center) Tyrese (right) Trinity (left) Tai'zah (center) Tyrese (right)
Tawnya Bateman Tawnya Bateman
Deon Clark Deon Clark

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – Friends and family brought stuffed toys, balloons and lit candles as they gathered to remember three young siblings killed in a house fire and pray for a fourth child who remains hospitalized.

"I couldn't imagine a tragedy like this. And to know my friend just lost three of her kids and one in the condition that she's in," said Tawnya Bateman, a friend of the family.

Taty'ana Hughes, 5, who is recovering from burn wounds, was The only child to survive the January 5 fire. Her two sisters and brother did not make it.

Those who attended the gathering Thursday evening reflected on those lives lost, 6-year-old Tai'zah who was a reader and talker, 4-year-old Tyrese who loved his sisters and trucks and 2-year-old Trinity who everyone called "the boss."

The children's grandfather, Deon Clark, said of his grandchildren, "Beautiful kids, I couldn't ask God for another bunch of kids like this they were so great and they mean so much to me."

Clark said the silence in his house is painful - filled with his wife's tears. But what's helping them get through this difficult time are their friends - old and new ones - offering support.

"For them to come out here and give me respect and give them respect it's just great," he said.

New Albany firefighters said items that were left too close to a space heater ignited the fatal fire.

Copyright 2014 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.