School officials warn parents of students snorting Smarties

PORTSMOUTH, R.I. (WJAR) - Portsmouth Middle School officials sent out a note this week to parents warning of the dangers of snorting and smoking Smarties.

"It used to be one of the candies I used to get in my Halloween bag," said Lyn Wooten, who has a grandson and a granddaughter who attend the school.

However, Wooten is looking at Smarties a lot differently.

"It goes to show you how something so innocent can turn into something unpleasant. It's sad really," she said.

School officials sent parents an email telling them some students were participating in a new craze to crunch up the candy and snort, inhale or smoke the dust.