Man arrested after fleeing police and trying to injure officers - News, Weather & Sports

Man arrested after fleeing police and trying to injure officers

Eddie Wilburn Jenkins (Source: LMDC) Eddie Wilburn Jenkins (Source: LMDC)

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – New charges have been filed against a man being held at Louisville Metro Corrections after he led Jefferson County deputy sheriffs and Louisville Metro police officers on several chases.

Eddie Wilburn Jenkins, 56, was arrested February 2 after leading Louisville Metro Police on several chases. During a part of the pursuit, Jenkins was heading east on Lower Hunters Trace being followed by LMPD officers when a Jefferson County Sheriff's Office vehicle heading the other way turned on its emergency lights.

The arrest report says Jenkins pulled his Chevy Silverado pickup into the lane of oncoming traffic and tried to ram the sheriff's office vehicle unit. The deputies were able to pull their vehicle off the road into a ditch and avoid a crash with Jenkins.

Metro police were originally looking for Jenkins after domestic felony assault charges were placed against him in New Albany, Indiana. The first time police went to find him, Jenkins was not home. About 35 minutes later officers found Jenkins at his home. When they went to make contact with him, Jenkins fled in his pickup on Lower Hunters heading toward the Greenbelt Highway.

After deciding it was not safe, police terminated their pursuit of Jenkins.

A short time later, officers saw Jenkins run a stop light, go into a yard in the 5600 block of Johnsontown Road and hit a car. Police said Jenkins backed out of the yard and drove away. Because of the weather and road conditions, officers did not follow Jenkins.

The third contact with Jenkins came in the 7300 block of Lazy Acres where they found him sitting in his truck. After ignoring commands to get out of the pickup, police say Jenkins started the truck, revved his engine and started driving toward the officers, narrowly missing them with the vehicle. Police followed Jenkins and led them on a chase lasting about 10 minutes. Two police cars were struck during the chase.

After Jenkins finally crashed his pickup on Logistics Drive, police said he continued to ignore their commands and started walking toward them with his hands under his coat screaming "kill me." Officers had to use a taser to place Jenkins in custody.

In addition to various traffic charges, Jenkins is facing four counts of fleeing or evading police, three counts of wanton endangerment, two counts of criminal mischief and one count of resisting arrest.

Copyright 2014 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly