SHEPHERDSVILLE, KY (WAVE) - Fire broke out at the Days Inn in Shepherdsville early Sunday morning and one woman was found dead at the scene.
The fire started inside room 133. "We opened the room and all the smoke was coming out from the room," said Danny Patel, Days Inn Manager.
Sisters Ruby and Elizabeth Hanks were staying at the hotel with their mother. They had just returned after grabbing breakfast.
"We heard some noise and we heard the alarm going off, so my mom was like come on get out, because she looked out the window and we saw the fire department here and she saw the smoke and said the hotel was on fire and we needed to get out," said Ruby Hanks.
Fire fighters rushed in to do what they could. "When crews entered the room they found a female victim on the floor and they drug her out and performed CPR," said Chief Layne Troutman, Shepherdsville Fire Department. "She was transported by EMS to the hospital where we later found out she was deceased from the fire."
Patel says the woman had been there a few days. He said he got a call from her early Sunday morning.
"She called about 4:00 in the morning and she wanted a cigarette and a lighter," said Patel.
Patel asked her to call back later, but fears she may have found a cigarette somewhere else and fell asleep. A charred mattress was pulled outside. The chief says the fire was contained to just one room.
"It's very sad news and it's never happened in six years that we are here and we never hear anything like this," said Patel.
Shocking news for the Hanks sisters to accept. "I was really scared," said Elizabeth. "I saw the ambulance and I was just so scared."
"It's real sad that it happened so close," said Ruby.
About 15 rooms were occupied at the time.
The State Fire Marshal's office is investigating the case. An official cause of the fire hasn't been released. The woman's identity is unknown.