3 teenage girls arrested in connection to fire that killed 3 chi - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

3 teenage girls arrested in connection to fire that killed 3 children

Posted: Updated:
Kylie Jenks (Source: Floyd County Jail) Kylie Jenks (Source: Floyd County Jail)
Shelby Makowsky Shelby Makowsky
Cody Cashion Cody Cashion
Left to right, Trinity Hughes, Tai'zah Hughes and Tyrese Hughes (Source: Family photo) Left to right, Trinity Hughes, Tai'zah Hughes and Tyrese Hughes (Source: Family photo)
Taty'ana Hughes Taty'ana Hughes

NEW ALBANY, IN (WAVE) – What the future holds for three teenage girls is unclear after they were charged in connection to a fire that killed three children.

Friday Floyd County Prosecutor Keith Henderson said Shelby Makowsky, 18, and Kylie Jenks, 19, will be charged with conspiracy to commit arson in connection to the January 4 fire. A 17-year-old girl will face a similar charge in juvenile court.

Investigators believe Jenks was driving the getaway car when 18-year-old Cody Cashion fired a flare gun into the home on Ealy Street, causing it to catch fire. Four children were inside the home when the house ignited. Three of those children, 2-year-old Trinity Hughes, 4-year-old Tyrese Hughes and 6-year-old Tai'zah Hughes, died in the fire. Their 5-year-old sister Taty'ana Hughes survived but suffered severe burns.

"I want everybody involved arrested because my babies got caught in something that they had nothing to do with," Marie Clark said, while sobbing over the death of her three grandchildren.

Police said all four of the teenagers learned about the children's deaths the next day from watching the news. None of them called police, but according to the juvenile being charged in the case, all four of them did go back to the home to look for flare shells.

"They were aware of why they were going there and they were aware of, and should have been aware of the consequences that resulted from their actions," Floyd County Prosecutor, Keith Henderson said.

The girls told detectives the flare was fired into the home as an act of retaliation. Four days before Christmas Cashion had been booked into the Floyd County Jail on theft charges. The girls said they had arranged to sell something to a guy named Jonathan "Udy" Stewart to raise money to post bond for Cashion. They claim Stewart instead stole what they were going to sell him. When Cashion was released and Stewart didn't pay up the fire was started.

Cashion is charged with one count of arson resulting in serious bodily injury and three counts of felony murder. Each of the murder charges carries a possible sentence of 45 to 65 years in prison. The arson charge could result in a 20-to-50-year sentence.

Cashion is no stranger to crime. Days before the fire, he was caught at a Walmart trying to steal flares for a flare gun. Four days after the fire, Cashion was in the Clark County Jail for the attempted murder of a Clarksville police officer and resisting arrest.  

Taty'ana Hughes remains in an Indianapolis children's hospital. Clark said she is recovering and was able to walk to her mother for the first time since the fire on Thursday.

Copyright 2014 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.