Police say a two-year-old girl is lucky to be alive
after the toddler ate her father's marijuana stash. Evidence gathered at the scene suggests the little girl
consumed as much as an ounce of marijuana.
"We initially got the call from River Oaks because the
child was very incoherent," said Flowood Police Det. Lloyd Coulter. "She stayed
in River Oaks just a small amount of time, then they carried the child to Blair
E. Batson Children's Hospital where the child stayed in ICU for two days."
Coulter said that illustrates the seriousness of the
situation, the end result of a two-year-old girl who had ingested marijuana on
"The father had apparently worked late into the night
of the morning that this happened. He fell asleep with the child roaming around
the apartment," said Coulter. "You know, this child's two years old and had
apparently seen her daddy smoke marijuana, and he left the bag of marijuana
sitting out in his child's reach."
And he says it could have been worse than that, considering
how toxic the substance is by itself.
"I know there's a case going on that I saw earlier this
week that was an out-of-state case," Coulter said. "A child had died from the
same similar circumstances."
Coulter said the parents, Bentrail Milow and Kelsee Purnell,
have both been charged with felony child abuse/neglect.
"And there are some misdemeanor charges on that as
well, but the case still is in an active investigation as well," Coulter added.
After getting a search warrant, police found marijuana and
drug paraphernalia in the apartment, as well as a cell phone containing evidence
of drug activity.
While the future of the parents will be left up to a jury,
the future of the little girl isn't certain either.
"You know the sad part of this is the mother and father both
do use marijuana," said Coulter. "You have a father here who's supposed to be
setting a fatherly example."
The parents were booked Thursday and a judge issued a $100,000 bond for each. They're
expected to have another appearance before a judge on Thursday.
As for the toddler, police say the
Department of Human Services has been contacted in the case.