Mother mistakenly tries to extinguish fire with gas - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Mother tries to extinguish fire with water from dog bowl, finds daughter filled it with gas

Posted: Updated:
Fire crews responded to a house fire on S. Shelby Street Fire crews responded to a house fire on S. Shelby Street
Maj. Rob Milliner of Louisville Fire and Rescue Maj. Rob Milliner of Louisville Fire and Rescue

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – A small house fire spread quickly when a woman tried to extinguish it with water from her dog's bowl, not knowing that her daughter had filled the bowl with gasoline.

Investigators say that a 3-year-old girl mistakenly filled the water bowl with gas from a nearby canister.

When the mother discovered a small fire in the rear of their S. Shelby Street home, she quickly grabbed the bowl and threw the gasoline on the fire, Maj. Rob Milliner of Louisville Fire and Rescue said.

Firefighters responded to the fire around 10:30 a.m. Saturday. It took about an hour for crews to put out the fire, which had spread to the neighbor's house. Nobody was hurt at either house.

Investigators are not sure how the fire started.

Copyright 2014 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.