Report reveals mother's reactions after baby left in hot car - News, Weather & Sports

Report reveals mother's reactions after baby left in hot car

TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -

Police reports reveal new details in the case of a child reportedly left in a hot car near Speedway and Pantano on Friday, July 25.

The mother of an 11-month-old baby called 911 in a state of panic after the child was not responding, according to Tucson Police documents.

The mother told police she had placed the baby in cold water for five minutes. She was told to remove the baby from the bath and wrap him in a towel. Court documents show it was more like 10 minutes.

The mother told police her significant other had taken the baby with her to two vitamin stores. They were gone for about 40 minutes. When they returned, police reports state the girlfriend was crying out for help, holding an unresponsive baby.  Police reports state the baby's eyes were rolled back in his head and his pupils were dilated. 

We checked and the temperature around 3 PM on July 22nd was 105 degrees.  Inside a hot car it can be a lot hotter than that.  Tucson police interviewed the mother's girlfriend.  The woman told detectives she took the baby inside the store with her when she went into the vitamin stores, and left the baby in the car when she got home.  After she was inside the home for about five to ten minutes, the woman told police she realized the baby was not in there with them, and she ran outside to find the child in the hot car.

Police have been talking to employees at the vitamin stores and other witnesses.  One witness said the woman did not have the baby with her when she was inside the vitamin store.  Witnesses have said she was in the store for more than twenty minutes.

Police are looking into the timeline of events right now.

Police reports state a doctor told detectives the child had a core body temperature of 104 degrees when he was brought into the hospital.  The baby appeared to be breathing on his own, but was having seizures.   The doctor said the baby would recover but with severe mental and physical disabilities.

The baby's mother told police she had been in a relationship with her girlfriend for eight years.  She had twin boys, the victim was one of the twins.

Police reports state the girlfriend appeared very distraught about the incident.  She was sobbing and crying, and continually stated that it was an accident.

The baby is still in critical condition, according to TPD Sgt. Pete Dugan.

No arrests have been made in this case yet.  Police say charges are pending the outcome of the investigation.

Copyright 2014 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly