Still no answers why firehouse burned to the ground - News, Weather & Sports

Still no answers why firehouse burned to the ground

MT. EDEN, KY (WAVE) – Two weeks after a firehouse went up in flames the cause of the fire remains undetermined.

Tuesday evening, fire officials held a meeting at Mount Eden Christian Church in hopes of learning clues from the community about what caused the blaze.

Andrew Ware had been coming to the Mount Eden Volunteer Fire Department, located at 306 Van Buren Road, since he was 15 years old and considered the building his second home. But around 5 a.m. on Aug. 5 a fire started inside the firehouse.

[PREVIOUS STORY: Mount Eden Fire department damaged in blaze] 

Ware was the third to arrive at the scene, only to be deemed helpless.

"It was difficult to just sit back and watch it burn up,” he said. “It was very emotional for a lot of us."

The firehouse, four trucks and all the equipment inside were a complete loss Mount Eden's Fire Chief Doug Herndon told those who attended the meeting.

[PREVIOUS STORY: Mt. Eden firefighters vow to rebuild charred firehouse] 

“When I said this was going to be a million dollar loss that first day, I'm probably was a little under that. It's probably going to be way over a million dollars," he said.

Herndon said there are still no answers as to what caused the fire. He said he believes the fire may have started in the attic, but ATF spokesman George Huffman, who was unable to attend the meeting called Tuesday evening, said after sending seven agents to investigate the cause of the fire is still undetermined and nothing has been ruled out on the official findings.

For now, the volunteer firefighters are back on call, meeting at a temporary facility and using donated or borrowed gear. The emergency calls are being automatically routed to the closest other fire department while they wait to rebuild.

Herndon said they have not received word from the insurance company on how long it will be before they can rebuild or how much the department will receive. In the meantime residents are starting to brainstorm ideas to raise money so they can help.

The ATF Louisville Field Division, Kentucky State Police, the Kentucky State Fire Marshal's Office and the Spencer County Sheriff's Department are continuing to investigate the cause of the fire.

Investigators are hoping someone who was near the fire department between midnight and 5 a.m. on Aug. 5 will be able to provide details.

Anyone with information is asked to call the ATF Fire Hotline at 1-888-ATF-FIRE or 1-888-283-3473.

Copyright 2014 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly