POWELL COUNTY, KY (WAVE) - The director of the Kentucky Reptile Zoo in Powell County is out of the hospital and back at work just 72 hours after being at death's door from a snake bite.
Jim Harrison was doing a routine venom extraction from a male South American Rattlesnake when he was bitten.
Staff at the zoo grabbed the anti-venom and rushed him to Clark Regional Medical Center where doctors administered the drug through an I.V.
"It feels like someone took a baseball bat and hit me from the head down. My muscles are tight and everything else. The anti-venom is great. It brought me back pretty quickly. If we didn't have that, I wouldn't be here talking to you," he said.
Harrison said that was the ninth time he had been bitten, but he said that isn't too bad considering he's done 600 to 1,000 extractions a week for 38 years.