Press release from TARC
LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - TARC will provide service to Churchill Downs for the Kentucky Oaks and Derby on regular routes that will follow detours away from the track starting at about 4:30 p.m. on both race days.
Routes providing the most direct access are: #4 – Fourth Street; #6 – Sixth Street; and #29 – Eastern Parkway. Frequency of bus arrival times vary. Passengers are encouraged to plan ahead by checking their scheduled route on TARC's website and knowing their routes and schedules.
After the races, due to detours, buses will pick people up at a different stop than where they were dropped off. Attached maps show drop-off and pick-up points, and a separate listing of detours is below. Non-Derby TARC riders also will be affected by detours near the track.
On Derby and Oaks days, TARC service will be available at the regularly scheduled times on all routes for the usual fare of $1.75 one-way. Route #4 covers parts of downtown, the University of Louisville, Old Louisville, and neighborhoods near Iroquois Park. Route #6 provides service in downtown, Iroquois Park neighborhoods and the area near Auburndale. Route #29 connects Shively, U of L, the Highlands and St. Matthews.
For the seventh straight year, TARC bus and trolley rides on Derby Eve starting at 6 p.m. will be free, thanks to the Miller Lite Free Rides™ program. The program is designed to reduce drunk driving around major events by providing a safe transportation option. The Republic Bank First Friday Hop is also Friday night along Main and Market Streets, providing access to downtown establishments and the Derby Eve Jam on the waterfront.
TARC DETOURS FOR OAKS AND DERBY DAYS
On Oaks and Derby days, Fourth Street and Central Avenue will be closed all day. All Iroquois Park and Southland Park buses will detour when streets are closed. Below are details about detour routing and times.
Route #4 Fourth Street: Oaks and Derby Day detours
Until 4:30 p.m.
- Southbound – bus will follow the regular route to Cardinal, turn left on Cardinal, right on 3rd Street to the regular route.
- Northbound – bus will continue on 3rd to 2nd Street, turn left on Cardinal, right on 4th Street then follow the regular route.
From 4:30 p.m. to 9:10 p.m.
- Southbound – buses leaving Jackson and Chestnut at 4:20 p.m. will turn left on Cardinal onto Brandeis, right on Bradley, right on Crittenden Drive, right on Nevada/Woodlawn overpass, to regular route at Third and Woodlawn, then south. All regular line 4th Street southbound coaches leaving Fourth and Main streets until after 9:10 p.m. will use the route via Highland Park. Then coaches will return to the regular southbound route.
From 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Northbound - buses leaving Iroquois or Southland Park will detour from Woodlawn Avenue to Woodlawn overpass, turn left on Crittenden Drive, left on Bradley, left on Brandeis to Cardinal Boulevard, turn right on 4th Street then follow the regular route.
Route #6 Sixth Street: Oaks Day from 4:45 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.; Derby Day from 4:45 p.m. to 9:15 p.m.
- Northbound - buses will turn left on Berry Boulevard, right on 7th Street to the regular route.
- Southbound – buses will continue on 7th Street, left on Berry Boulevard, right on Taylor then to the regular route.
Route #29 Eastern Parkway: Oaks and Derby Day
- Eastbound - 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.–buses will turn left on 7th Street Road from Berry Boulevard, continue on 7th Street Road to Algonquin, turn right on Algonquin to the regular route.
- Westbound – right on Crittenden Drive, left on Bradley, left on Brandies to Cardinal, left on 4th, right on Industry, left on 7th to regular route.