Officer involved in Bullitt Co. shooting

Officer involved in Bullitt Co. shooting

BULLITT COUNTY, KY (WAVE) – A man who witnesses said raised a gun toward officers was shot by a Shepherdsville Police Department officer.

The shooting happened around 4:30 p.m. Friday on Nancy Drive, according to law enforcement officials in Bullitt County.

The shooting was recorded on a couple of the neighbor's cellphones.

At first he's seen talking on the phone on the video while holding a gun. At times he points it to his head.

"All of a sudden a bunch of cops pull up and for about 25 minutes they were asking him to out the gun down," Brandon Thomas, a witness told WAVE 3 News.

Then the man throws the phone to the ground and raises his arm holding the gun. Then you hear gunshots. It hard to make out how many.

Police say the man was shot in the abdomen.

"As soon as he raised his gun the cops dropped him," Thomas said.

A family member of the man holding the gun tells us his name is Christopher Lindsey. Lindsey's aunt and his nephew live nearby and told us they were there during the ordeal. They said they wanted to calm Lindsey down, but were kept back by police. Police told us it is standard operating procedure to keep anyone back for everyone's safety.

Other neighbors worried about the children that were outside playing.

"At the time I was trying to get all the little kids around, I had a bunch of them in the house from around here. It was just terrible," Bob Wilson said.

One of the kids riding his bike had no idea until he ran into the scene.

"He tried to ride his bike through here when it was going on and he was scared to death."

A mother who lives on the block was at work. Her kids were at home when she got word that police were outside and shots were fired.

"I was doing 80 home, but there was so much traffic," Stephanie Williams said.

Neighbors seemed shaken but told us they were glad no one else was hurt.

"Stuff like this don't usually happen around here so it's new to everybody," Thomas said.

Witness said the suspect was driving up and down the street then drove into an open field off the road, got out of his vehicle and began walking around with a gun while talking on the phone.

No officers were injured.

Lindsey was taken to University of Louisville Hospital. Family members told WAVE 3 News he underwent surgery for five hours overnight, and is now recovering.

He is charged with six counts of first-degree wanton endangerment of a police officer.

Copyright 2016 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.