Man arrested after standoff in Shawnee neighborhood - News, Weather & Sports

Man arrested after standoff in Shawnee neighborhood

(Source: Doug Druschke/WAVE 3 News) (Source: Doug Druschke/WAVE 3 News)
(Source: Doug Druschke/WAVE 3 News) (Source: Doug Druschke/WAVE 3 News)
(Source: William Joy/WAVE 3 News) (Source: William Joy/WAVE 3 News)

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - A man was arrested after a three-hour standoff with police in the Shawnee neighborhood Saturday afternoon. 

Louisville Metro Police Department Maj. Jimmy Harper said officers were called to an apartment complex in the 600 block of S. 37th Street around 3:30 p.m. for a home invasion with shots fired. The people living in the second floor apartment made it out safely, according to Harper. 

When police arrived they located a man, who was later identified as 45-year-old Michael Broadway, in the courtyard area of the apartment complex with a gun raised at the officers. Those officers, believing Broadway to be the suspect, fired their service weapon at the suspect, but did not strike him. Broadway then ran into the apartment, where he barricaded himself. The LMPD's SWAT Team was then called in, and the complex was evacuated. 

Police said after using a robot, they were able to talk to Broadway and got him to surrender peacefully.

“Despite the violent act that was being perpetrated we always want any incident, whether it’s the person responsible for the criminal act, we act to safely take them into custody without injury to them and/or our officers or other civilians in the area,” Harper said. 

Small child struck by car in Shelbyville

UPDATE: Victims identified in double homicide in Salem
Let go repeatedly, alleged cop shooter's criminal past sparks questions
Man arrested in connection to death of woman found in Green River

Officials confirmed that no one was injured in the incident.

“This was a successful resolution for what could’ve been a dangerous situation for everyone involved had the community not cooperated the way they did with us,” Harper said.

Police said even without injuries, they know the community is troubled over the violence.

“It’s unfortunate,” Maj. Harper said. “We’ve got more work to do, a lot of work to do honestly, to stop this from happening where people can live in peace and not have to worry about being a victim or a witness to a crime.”

Police said they are still investigating the incident that led up to the invasion. Charges against Broadway are pending. 

Copyright 2016 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly