Wildcats record largest SEC win in program history; Hjelle throws six shutout innings
In the process, Kentucky improved to 30-13 on the season, 13-6 atop the SEC Eastern Division standings. UK also extended a school-record streak of six-straight 30-win seasons and head coach Nick Mingione set a school record for most wins by a UK coach in his first season. South Carolina is now 24-16 overall, 9-10 in league play.
Top 3rd – Zach Reks reached on an error to lead off the inning. Riley Mahan doubled off the top of the left field wall, moving Reks to third. Squires hit a chopper over the first baseman, scoring Reks and Mahan. Marshall singled to center and Marcus Carson walked to load the bases. Tristan Pompey singled to right, scoring Squires. UK 4, SC 0.
Top 4th – Evan White was hit by a pitch to lead off the inning. He advanced to second on a passed ball, to third on a groundout, and scored on a wild pitch. UK 5, SC 0.
Top 5th – With two outs, Carson and Heady singled, followed by a three-run homer to right-center by Pompey. UK 8, SC 0.
Top 6th – Reks and Luke Becker walked to open the inning and they moved up a base on a wild pitch. Reks scored on a single by Mahan, who scampered to second on the throw. Squires singled to left, scoring Becker and moving Mahan to third. Marshall hit a sharp double-play grounder but it allowed Mahan to score. UK 11, SC 0.
Top 7th – Heady led off with a home run to left field. Pompey singled and White doubled him to third. Reks singled, scoring Pompey. Becker hit a three-run homer to right-center. UK 16, SC 0.
Bottom 8th – Justin Row singled to right and came around to score when Ross Grosvenor doubled into the left field corner. UK 16, SC 1.
Top 9th – Reks led off with a walk and Becker followed with his second homer. UK 19, SC 1.
- style="background:white;"> Kentucky has reached 30 wins in a season for the 18th time in its history and the sixth-straight season.
- style="background:white;"> Nick Mingione is the first head coach in Kentucky history to win 30 games in his first season at the helm.
- His 13th SEC win ties Keith Madison (1979) for most SEC wins for a first-year UK baseball coach.
- style="background:white;"> The win:
- It is the first UK win at Founders Park, which was built in 2009.
- Ends an 11-game losing streak to South Carolina in Columbia.
- style="background:white;"> The Cats have now scored 10 or more runs in 15 games this season, including five times in SEC play.
- style="background:white;"> The 18-run margin of victory is UK’s largest ever in SEC play.
- style="background:white;"> The 19 runs were the most runs for UK in an SEC game since Miss. State in 2009 (22).
- style="background:white;"> The Cats’ five-run seventh inning was the 16th time this season they’ve scored at least five runs in an inning.
- style="background:white;"> Sophomore RHP Sean Hjelle went 6.0 innings, giving up three hits, no runs and striking out six.
- It is Hjelle’s fifth consecutive quality start.
- The third time in SEC play Hjelle has not allowed a run.
- style="background:white;"> Junior 1B Evan White went 2-for-4 with a double and two runs.
- White now has 201 career hits, good for 16th on UK’s all-time career hit list.
- White has a hit in 19 of his last 20 games.
- White has multiple hits in seven of his last eight games.
- White now has 17 multi-hit games this season and 61 for his career.
- He currently has a 10-game hitting streak.
- style="background:white;"> Senior IF Connor Heady went 3-for-4 with two runs scored, two walks, and a two-run home run.
- The senior logged his seventh multi-RBI game of the season and 11th of his career.
- style="background:white;"> Junior C Troy Squires went 3-for-5 with three RBI and two runs scored.
- It was Squires’ fourth multi-hit game of the season and seventh of his career.
- Squires now has two multi-RBI games this season and four in his career.
- style="margin-bottom:.0001pt;background:white;"> Sophomore OF Tristan Pompey went 4-for-5 with two runs, four RBI and a three-run homer.
- Pompey now has hit safely in 30 of his past 32 games.
- Pompey is currently riding a career-long 14-game hitting streak.
- Pompey’s four RBI are a season-high and tie his career high, set against Dayton on Feb. 21, 2016.
- His four hits tied his career high set in a 4-for-5 day at Mississippi State on April 9, 2017.
Kentucky will try to win the series at No. 21 South Carolina on Saturday afternoon at Founder Park. First pitch is set for 4 p.m.. Fans can listen on the UK Sports Network via UKathletics.com and iHeart Radio, as well as on 630 AM WLAP, and watch on SECN+.