Helpful Resources

Helpful Resources

Louisville Metro Police - 502-574-7060

LMPD Anonymous Tipline - 502-574-LMPD (5673)

Remember 911 is for emergencies only.

To get a copy of a police report, you can go to Records at 701 West Ormsby Avenue, Suite 001. Hours are Monday - Friday, 8 am - 5 pm. You can call the Records office at 502-574-2050.

MetroCall - the Jefferson County customer service center. Dial 311 using your home phone or call 502-574-5000 on a cell phone.

MetroSafe - for non-emergency police-related matters call 502-574-7111.

Emergency Management Agency 502-574-3900

Metro United Way - Call 211 on any Louisville landline for answers on any human service needs.

Child Abuse

If you believe a child is being abused, neglected or is dependent, please call the Child Protection Hotline: 1-877-597-2331 (Toll Free).

Take out a warrant or Emergency Protective Order (EPO) - go to the Hall of Justice, 1st Floor. 600 W. Jefferson Street. An EPO is available 24/7, 365 days a year. Phone: 502-595-3025

Domestic Violence Criminal Complaints - A prosecutor is available from 8 am - 12:30 am (Monday - Friday) and 10 am - 6 pm (Saturday and Sunday). Phone: 502-595-3025

Non-domestic Warrants - Office open 7:30 am - 5 pm (Monday - Friday). Phone: 502-574-0961

Legal Issues

If you cannot afford an attorney you contact the following organizations:

- Louisville Bar Association

LBA has its Free 'ask a lawyer' event each 3rd Tuesday of the month from 6 pm - 8 pm. They also have a free lawyer referral service. Phone: 502-583-1801.

- Legal Aid Society

They offer several 'open house' type free question and answer events that give legal guidance. (Common topics include tenants, wills, power of attorney, living wills, etc.) Phone: 502-584-1254. Legal Aid does not handle any type of divorce/domestic situation.

Landlord/Tenant Issues

- Legal Aid Society operates Louisville Tenants association. If you have a lease, the legal process of eviction must be followed. You must receive a hand delivered (not taped to your door) notice of eviction. There is a court date you need to attend to explain why you are facing this situation. There are instances you can withhold rent, but you must put funds in escrow to prove to the court you have the money.

- Bad conditions at apartments? Call 311, Metro Health (numbers above)

Louisville Metro Housing Authority - provides quality, affordable housing for those in need; assists residents in their efforts to achieve financial independence; and works with the community to strengthen neighborhoods. Phone: (502) 569-3400

Public Housing Office - 420 South Eighth Street, Louisville, Kentucky 40203. Phone: 502-569-3400

Section 8 Office - 801 Vine Street, Louisville, Kentucky 40204. Phone: 502-569-6060

Non-repair of property (in Jeff Co) - Call Metro Call at 311 and report it so an inspector can come and take a look.

HUD - Landlord complaints. Phone: 1-800-685-8470

Complaints on builders:

Homebuilders Assoc: 502-429-6000

Attorney General of KY or IN:

KY 502-429-7134 or 1-888-432-9257

IN 1-800-382-5516 (toll free only in IN)

Better Business Bureau: 502-583-6546

Small claims/suing people:

In Jefferson County call 502-595-4475

KY allows up to $2,500 total

IN allows up to $5,000

*Call the county where you're filing to get more information.

Judge Complaints

KY Judicial Conduct Commission: 502-564-1231. *Must submit complaints in writing, you can call and they will send you the forms.

Utility Problems

Metropolitan Sewer District, MSD:  502-540-6000

-You can also call 311 or contact your metro council person.

Louisville Gas and Electric, LG&E: 800-981-0600

- You can also call 311 or contact your metro council person.

Public Service Commissions:

KY: 1-800-772-4636

IN: 1-888-441-2494

Car Purchases:

If the car is not new, file a complaint with the Attorney General of KY or IN  and the BBB (see above for numbers).

If it is a new car, the Attorneys General in each state do mediation of the Lemon Law. This only applies to new cars.

JCPS Resources

Depending on the age of your child, or your complaint, find the appropriate office to call through the ombudsman: 502-485-6644

- JCPS media office: 502-485-3357

- Transportation department info line: 502-485-RIDE

- Bullying: Request appointment with teachers and administrators for clarification of 'zero tolerance' policy. Follow these steps:

Make an appointment with the assistant principal or principal and teacher. Take paper and make explicit notes. Write down what you're hearing them tell you and what you want done.

Develop a 'plan' that the school will offer to protect your child. Get it in writing. Follow-up with them if your child advises of further run-ins.

If severe, consider taking out a warrant against the offending child. You can do that in Jefferson County at the Hall of Justice (see above).

You will never call the day of and get the principal on the phone, so don't call and demand it.  


Visit a RIVER LINK office, do not email.

NO Call Lists

KY: 1-866-592-2550

IN: 1-888-834-9969

Scam Reports/Fraudulent Ads

Federal Trade Commission: 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357)

Scam e-mails should be forwarded to: *ESPECIALLY IRS SCAMS* Also send IRS scam emails to the KY or IN AG's office.

For general complaints about businesses not holding up a contractual agreement, write the business involved, explain what you want, and CC copies to the Better Business Bureau and the KY Attorney General or IN Attorney General.

Parking Ticket

Call PARC: 502-569-6222