Kentucky governor orders cuts of 1.3 percent to cover gap
(Source: WAVE 3 News)
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) - Gov. Matt Bevin has ordered budget cuts of 1.3 percent this fiscal year to meet a shortfall.
The Consensus Forecasting Group earlier this month revised the estimate of tax receipts this fiscal year and projected that General Fund revenues will be $156 million less than previously budgeted.
State Budget Director John E. Chilton's office said in a news release Thursday that the cuts are less than Bevin requested earlier this year because the order can't be used to replenish the state's Rainy Day Fund. Bevin previously proposed cutting state spending by more than 17 percent this year.
Chilton's office said protecting spending on programs such as public education and corrections will be difficult in the next budget with additional expense expected, such as pension funding and Medicaid.
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Thursday, June 8 2017 2:45 PM EDT2017-06-08 18:45:13 GMT
There are still a few tickets left for Thursday's Muslim prayer service to honor Muhammad Ali. But there are none left for the interfaith memorial on Friday. Muslims have traveled from all over the world to pay...More >>
In response to a lawsuit filed by the University of Louisville and its foundation, a lawyer for former university President James Ramsey says his client "has done nothing wrong." The lawsuit was filed Wednesday against...More >>