From the Metro Police Newsroom
Mayor Jerry Abramson and Chief Robert White today targeted auto thefts and thefts from auto as the focus of Keep Louisville Safe campaign. Records compiled by the Louisville Metro Police Department (LMPD) show that these two crimes can often be prevented when residents partner with police and utilize some basic proactive practices.
LMPD officers have been working with members of the local media -- blitzing television and radio stations with information and tips about how to prevent auto thefts and thefts from auto. Email alerts with prevention tips are also being sent out to members of LMPD's Citizen Observer Network, Neighborhood Watch leaders and residents who are enrolled in local neighborhood associations.
"We want residents to know that they can be proactive instead of reactive when it comes to auto thefts," Abramson said. "Often we take for granted that crime happens to 'other people' but all of us are potential victims of thieves if we don't take steps to secure our valuables."
Tips to prevent stolen autos
- Never leave your car unattended, not even to warm it up. Thieves watch for this. This is also against the law and you can be fined for it.
- Always lock your car, even if you are just leaving it for a few seconds.
- Never loan your car to someone -- drive them yourself. A large number of "borrowed" cars are used to transport and purchase narcotics.
Preventing theft of items from your car
- Always lock your car and roll up the windows.
- Don't leave your car unlocked just because you will only be away from it for a few seconds.
- Take all things of value inside your residence or lock them in the truck. Items commonly taken from unlocked vehicles include: prescription medication; loose change; purses; checkbooks; wallets; tools; CDs; stereos and speakers; clothing; cell phones.
- Chevrolet Full Size C/K 1500 Pickup (1999)
- Oldsmobile Cutlass (1987)
- Ford Taurus (1996)
- Ford Explorer (2002)
- Ford F150 Series (1997)
- Toyota Camry (1991)
- Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee (1996)
- Dodge Ram Pickup (2001)
- Chevrolet Cavalier (1998)
- Chevrolet Caprice (1989)