State investigating woman's death at Louisville nursing home - News, Weather & Sports

State investigating woman's death at Louisville nursing home

By Mark Schnyder

LOUISVILLE (WAVE) -- The Kentucky Attorney General's office is investigating a suspicious death at a Louisville nursing home. Now the family of the 86-year old woman who lived at Parkway Medical Center has hired an attorney to try to get answers. WAVE 3's Mark Schnyder has more.

86-year old Marcelline Vale was doing fine physically according to her family's attorney when her health took a sudden turn in early July. A month later she died, apparently because of an insulin injection she was never supposed to get.

Who gave Marcelline Vale that deadly dose of insulin and why? Was it a mistake? Was it on purpose? These are some of questions the state Attorney General's office and the attorney hired by the victim's two kids want answered.

"They're devastated by the loss of their mother and want to get to the bottom of what happened," says their attorney Jeff Sampson.

The Inspector General's office tells WAVE 3 News they conducted an investigation into Parkway Medical Center, where Vale lived for two years, and according to that agency, the nursing home is not to blame for her death. The victim's attorney says he'll wait for the criminal investigation to end until he reaches any conclusions.

"Was the appropriate criminal background check performed? Were the i's dotted and t's crossed with respect to this person as an employee? Those are all questions at this point we just don't know the answer to," says Sampson.

The administrator for Parkway Medical Center wouldn't say much about the death, but Joe Okruhlica told WAVE 3 by phone, "We had an unusual occurance that we reported to the Office of Inspector General. They came in and did an investigation. They said Parkway did everything it should have done. The focus of this investigation is not on Parkway."

The Attorney General's office says it's focus is absolutely on what happened at Parkway. WAVE 3 asked the attorney for the victim's family if there might be a lawsuit brewing. He says it's too early to talk about that. Jeff Sampson says he has to wait until the results of the Attorney General's investigation becomes public before the family pursues any legal action.

Online Reporter:  Mark Schnyder

Online Producer: Charles Gazaway

Powered by Frankly