Attorney Plans To Ask For Change Of Venue In Dishon Murder Trial
July 14, 2002 at 9:14 PM EST - Updated July 1 at 9:25 AM
(LOUISVILLE Sunday July 14th, 2002 6:13pm) -- A public defender said he expects to ask a Bullitt County judge to move the murder trial of David "Bucky" Brooks, who is charged in the death of teenager Jessica Dishon.
Vincent Yustas of the Kentucky Department of Public Advocacy said it might be impossible for Brooks to get a fair trial in Bullitt County, now that he's been waiting in jail for a year and a half.
The trial is set for Aug. 13.
Brooks, 43, has been in the Bullitt County jail since he was indicted on charges of murder, kidnapping, tampering with physical evidence and complicity in Jessica's slaying. He could face the death penalty if convicted.
Brooks' trial could be delayed if a motion for a change of venue is granted, said Commonwealth's Attorney Mike Mann, who added that he will fight any attempt to take it out of the county.
"I don't think that there has been so much publicity that he could not get a fair trial," Mann said.
Jessica disappeared from her home on Sept. 10, 1999. Her body was found Sept. 27, 1999, about seven miles away. She had been beaten and strangled.
Yustas said he most likely will request moving the trial in the next few weeks. He said he's considering northern Kentucky because fewer people there have been exposed to the media coverage the case has generated.
(Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)