Answers to Common Questions

When Will My Case Be Settled?

We cannot begin to negotiate seriously until your medical treatment is complete. Your first concern is to follow your doctor's orders until you feel better. After your medical treatment, we will gather all of the necessary data and begin to negotiate seriously. Sometimes, those negotiations can take several months. We cannot be honest and tell you that your case will be over in thirty days. We will try to keep you informed as we go and settle your case as quickly as possible.

How Much Is My Case Worth?

There is no way to estimate the value of your case when we open your file. Until we gather all the necessary materials concerning the liability issues and damage issues in your case, our estimate is not likely to be very accurate. Only after the necessary work is done will we have a reliable estimate.

How Will I Be Informed About My Case?

We strive to keep you informed whenever there is anything important happening. We understand the importance of open communication between client and lawyer. While we would like to talk to you every week, this is usually not practical, since legal cases often take quite some time to resolve. Rest assured that we are pursuing your case, and that when important developments occur, we will call you immediately.

Who Will Work With My Lawyer On My Case?

We employ trained legal assistants to work with our lawyers. These qualified staff members will help the attorney in processing your claim. Your case will be assigned to one legal assistant and a claims assistant who will be familiar with your case and work with your attorney.

What Do I Do When I Have A Question?

We will try to answer your questions promptly. If your attorney is not in or available when you call, ask for your legal assistant. You'll like how informed and helpful he or she will be. If the legal assistant cannot answer your questions, he or she will forward the question to your attorney and get an answer for you, or arrange to have your attorney call you.

Can I Handle My Own Claim For The Property Damage To My Car?

In most cases, you can settle your property damage claim on your own. You may decide to deal directly with the responsible person's insurance company or you may wish to settle under the collision portion of your own policy.

If you settle with your company, your company should make a claim against the responsible person's insurance company and reimburse you for the deductible. This is part of the service you pay for you when you buy collision coverage.

If your car was a total loss in the accident, there are several methods to help you figure out the fair market value of your car:

1) Classified ads in the newspaper;

2) NADA Book - call your bank or credit union;

3) Auto Trader Magazine - can be purchased at many convenience stores;

4) Car Dealers

Once you've checked these sources, you should have a pretty good idea about the range of value for your car.

When you settle your Property Damage Claim, be sure to let us review any documents before you sign them.

What If The Other Driver Has No Insurance?

In this situation, the other driver is an "uninsured motorist". We will figure out the amount of uninsured motorist coverage applicable under any other automobile policies so that you may seek compensation from those insurance companies.

What Should I Do If I'm Thinking About Filing For Bankruptcy?

If you are thinking about filing for bankruptcy, please contact our office before taking any action. Your personal injury proceeds would be part of your assets in any bankruptcy action. Bankruptcy can affect your personal injury case, so be sure to speak with us.

Can The Becker Law Office Lend Me Money?

We will do everything we can to help settle your claim and we will advance the costs of the legal action, but we cannot loan you money. The laws of both Kentucky and Indiana are quite specific: it is illegal for an attorney to lend a client money and could result in disciplinary action against our firm.

If you are getting letters from collection agencies or other creditors, we will be happy to write to them and explain that you have a personal injury action in progress. We will ask them to give you more time or defer payment until you receive your settlement.

What About The Other Costs Of Litigation That Come Up In My Case?

Besides legal fees, there are various charges which must be paid to prepare your case. Police departments typically charge for a copy of the accident report; physicians bill us for preparation of their medical reports; other incidental costs of this kind accrue as well.

Costs also may include bills received from other people about your case, such as court reporters, expert witnesses, and others. We will advance these costs and we are paid only if we win or settle your case.

If I Know Of Someone Else With A Personal Injury, Should I Tell Them About The Becker Law Office?

If someone you know is injured, we would be happy to speak with them about the accident and any potential claim. Please ask them to call your attorney and be sure to have them mention that they are a friend of yours. We will set up an appointment immediately. Our firm handles all types of injury cases.