Advertisement

Teen involved in 3 murders to leave juvenile detention, will head to prison

Anjuan Carter at his resentencing on Wednesday.
Anjuan Carter at his resentencing on Wednesday.
Updated: Dec. 19, 2018 at 3:48 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - One day after his birthday, a Louisville teen has learned he will be returning behind bars. A re-sentencing was held on Wednesday for Anjuan Carter. Carter is involved in one of the most horrific murder cases of 2016, two brothers were brutally murdered and another man.

Carter took a plea deal in November 2016 when he was 15 years old for his role in the murders of brothers Larry Ordway, 14, and Maurice Gordon, 16, and another adult, Christopher Jones. Gordon and Ordway’s bodies were found stabbed and burned in the backyard of an abandoned house on River Park Drive in 2016.

Larry Ordway, 14, and Maurice Gordon, 16 (Source: WAVE 3 News)
Larry Ordway, 14, and Maurice Gordon, 16 (Source: WAVE 3 News)

Carter pled guilty to three counts of criminal facilitation to murder and one count of tampering with physical evidence and was sentenced to ten years in a juvenile detention facility. Carter turned 18 years old on Tuesday and was back in court on Wednesday for re-sentencing, since he is now an adult.

Judge Charles Cunningham denied his attorney’s request for probation and ordered him to serve out the remainder of his ten year sentence in prison.

Judge Cunningham addressed Carter in court, saying that no matter the good he had done before the crimes, or the improvements he’s made since, he was still involved in three awful crimes and changes what he did.

"What you need to hear is that you ruined a lot of lives, three lives you snuffed out and lot of other lives attached to those three," Judge Cunningham said.

Christopher Jones (Source: LMDC)
Christopher Jones (Source: LMDC)

Carter’s attorney, Ryan Vantrease, told the courtroom that Carter has matured over the past two and half years in juvenile detention and committed the crimes with direction from Brice Rhodes. Carter admitted to helping Rhodes, Jacorey Taylor, and Tieren Coleman who have also been charged in the cases. They are accused of stabbing Ordway and Gordon on May 22, and then cleaning up the scene with bleach. Carter was also in a vehicle with Rhodes on May 4, 2016 when Rhodes mistook Christopher Jones for a man who had a price on his head, according to the plea sheets. Rhodes shot and killed Jones, according to the court records. Ordway and Gordon were also in the vehicle, according to Carter.

Part of Carter's plea entails that he will have to testify against the other three co-defendants. Rhodes has been in and out of court several times, racking up new charges for his behavior during those court appearances and in jail.

Brice Jamar Rhodes (Source: LMDC)
Brice Jamar Rhodes (Source: LMDC)

Also in court on Wednesday, family member of Gordon and Ordway, including their mother Elizabeth Marie Wren. They made a plea to the judge to keep Carter in prison.

"This boy right here, I loved him with all my heart like my son," Elizabeth Marie Wren said. "I thought the world of him (Carter). I never knew he would betray my sons."

The prosecutor and judge pointed out Carter’s troubles behind bars and that he had already totaled over two dozen rule violations. Carter spoke in court on Wednesday.

"I'm sorry for the events that occurred and I've taken steps to better myself and to make sure this event never happens again," Carter said.

Carter’s attorney said he would seek shock probation. Carter will go back to the juvenile facility in Adair County where he has been at for another five months and will then go to an adult facility.

Copyright 2018 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.