Extension cord causes deadly Jeffersonville fire

Extension cord causes deadly Jeffersonville fire
The fire was reported in the 500 block of Allison Lane Friday morning. (Source: WAVE 3 News)

JEFFERSONVILLE, IN (WAVE) - A deadly fire in Jeffersonville was caused by an extension cord.

Dean Reynolds, 83, and his dog were killed in the Jan. 4 fire in the 500 block of Allison Lane.

WAVE 3 News partners at the News and Tribune reported the fire started in the basement.

Investigators found a space heater plugged into an extension cord, which was pinned beneath a couch leg and had begun to fray. The couch caught fire and the flames spread from there.

It's unclear if the home had working smoke detectors.

Copyright 2019 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.