SCOTT COUNTY, IN (WAVE) - The man police say led a Charlestown Police sergeant on a chase that ended in the officers death has taken a plea deal to his charges in Scott County.
Benjamin Eads, 35, is accused of stealing a car at a gas station and leading Sgt. Ben Bertram on a chase throughout Charlestown and Sellersburg.
The chase ended when Bertram crashed his cruiser into a tree at the intersection of State Road 56 and State Road 3 in Scott County. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Bertram was a nine-year veteran of the Charlestown Police Department. He was 33-years-old
- Suspect in fatal police pursuit back in court facing more charges
- Suspect in police chase that led to officer death in court Friday
- Benton Bertram: Funeral service announced for officer killed in chase
- ISP investigating after car chase kills officer
- Indiana police officer killed in crash while chasing suspect
Eads is set to be formally sentenced on March 8.
Eads still faces charges in Clark County.