CLARK COUNTY, Ind. (WAVE) – Crews contained the flames inside a home in Clark County near Sellersburg on Thursday that was started by a deep fryer, according to the Jeffersonville Fire Marshal.
It was reported on Constellation Lane around 4:18 p.m. Thursday, according to Clark County dispatchers.
25 firefighters from the Jeffersonville Fire Department worked to put out the flames in the two-story home.
JFD Public Information Officer Sgt. Justin Ames said the fire is believed to have started on a wooden deck of the home in the backyard. The fire spread from the cover of the deck to the home before reaching the attic.
Ames said the family was home and in the basement at the time of the fire, and they were able to get out safely.
He warns anyone cooking outside not to leave an appliance unattended and to cook at least 15 feet away from anything combustible.
The fire is under investigation.