LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WAVE) - Saturday afternoon began the kickoff to several events hoping to increase awareness and prevention of breast cancer in the African American community.
The group Kentucky African Americans Against Cancer, the Kentucky Cancer Program, and the University of Louisville James Graham Brown Cancer Center created the Sista Strut Kickoff drive-thru awareness event, taking place at the Republic Bank Foundation YMCA on West Broadway.
This event is the beginning of Sista Strut Week, sponsored by Becker Law Office, Papa John’s Pizza, and Baptist Health Cancer Care. Multiple events will be set up throughout the Louisville area raising money and awareness for breast cancer.
Guests at the kickoff event received educational materials and masks, and offered a place for eligible women to register for a mammogram.
Janikaa Sherrod, cancer control specialist for the Kentucky Cancer Program, said the event hopes to inform African American women about breast cancer prevention to get screened early.
“African American women are 40 percent more likely to die of breast cancer than their white counterparts, and a lot of that is due to late-stage diagnosis," Sherrod said. “So we want African American women to know that if they can get screened early, that it can increase their chances and their success of beating this disease.”
In addition, the event also provided a first-hand look at survivors of breast cancer and their stories of encouragement.
“All of the women are here, some of them have battled breast cancer, some of them are currently going through breast cancer, and some of these people are here in support of the cause because they have family members,” Sherrod said. “For me, my mother recently passed and she was a three-time cancer survivor. So this is personal and dear to my heart as well.”
Sherrod said that if any woman 40 or older has not had yet been screened or has a history of breast cancer in their family to talk with their doctor.
Events will for Sista Strut Week will continue on Monday. The full list of locations are below:
- Monday, October 19 - Papa John’s - 3983 7th Street Suite B - 12 p.m. - 2p.m.
- Tuesday, October 20 - Papa John’s - 3983 7th Street Suite B - 12 p.m. - 2 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 21 - Baptist Health at St. Stephen Church - 1018 S 15th St - 12 p.m. - 2 p.m.
- Thursday, October 22 - Baptist Health at Floyd Cancer Center - 2210 Green Valley Rd, New Albany, IN 47150 - 12 p.m. - 2 p.m.
- Friday, October 23 - Becker Law at St. Stephen Church - 1018 S 15th St - 4 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- Saturday, October 24 - Jim Dandy’s Beauty Supply - 4838 Poplar Level Rd - 12 p.m. - 2 p.m.
For more information on prevention and screening opportunities, visit the Kentucky Cancer Program’s website.