6-year-old girl identified in Louisville death investigation
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WAVE) - The Jefferson County Coroner released the identification of a child that died in Pleasure Ridge Park on Jan. 27.
Makaylah Brown, 6, died from fentanyl intoxication, the coroner said.
It happened on the 6800 block of Brooklawn Drive at an apartment complex near Iroquois Park, according to Louisville Metro Police Department spokesperson Aaron Ellis.
Initially, MetroSafe told WAVE a child at the same address had suffered a “critical injury.”
Neighbor, Michaela Collett described what she saw the day the girl died.
“I was just sitting on the couch, and I heard yelling from out here, and I looked out the window, and the lady who lives there, she was running and screaming out here yelling for help, and two minutes later there were firetrucks, ambulance, police cars,” Collett said.
She added Makaylah was lying on the grass outside of her parents’ apartment building.
This isn’t the first time a child has gotten hurt or killed at the apartment complex. Last November, WAVE News reported a 3-year-old boy got hold of a gun and accidentally shot himself in the chest; he survived.
According to LMPD’s crime map, within the past month there has been a homicide, multiple assaults and thefts, and a felon with a gun at the Brooklawn Drive apartment complex.
Collett said she doesn’t feel safe living there anymore.
“At first I thought this was a nice place to live, but after all the stuff that’s happened here, I can’t wait for my lease to be up,” Collett said. “I don’t want my kids around this. I don’t want anything to happen to them, so I’m just ready to get out of here.”
Police haven’t said how the fentanyl got into Makaylah’s system, however, Dr. Adam Isacoff, a pediatric emergency physician at Norton Children’s Hospital sees kids get into all kinds of substances fairly often, including prescription pills, cleaning products, and illegal drugs.
Isacoff said a child’s reaction to a drug depends on the type, how much they ingested, and how quickly they arrive at the hospital.
“Sometimes it’s as simple as a little more drowsy and an upset stomach; kids can come in completely unresponsive,” Isacoff said. “Luckily, antidotes are given by emergency medical services a lot of the time or when they arrive, so that counteracts some of the effects,” he added. “Breathing or lack of breathing can definitely be a side effect of this medicine as well.”
Isacoff often consults the Kentucky Poison Control Center of Norton Children’s Hospital when caring for children who ingest substances, and he encouraged parents and guardians to do the same.
If parents or guardians are uncertain what to do after their child ingests something, they should call (800) 222-1222.
LMPD 3rd Division officers and the Homicide Unit are handling Makaylah’s case that remains open and active, LMPD spokeswoman Beth Ruoff said.
There have been no arrests made at this time.
Copyright 2022 WAVE. All rights reserved.