NEW ALBANY, IN (WAVE) - No more letters to the media. No more conversations with police. That's the ruling from the judge in the case against suspected serial killer William Clyde Gibson. His attorney wants him to keep quiet, for now.
Gibson has been speaking out to police since his arrest in April. He even confessed to the murders in letters he sent to WAVE 3. On Tuesday, a judge put a stop to all that until Gibson can undergo a mental evaluation.
Just last week, police once again had Gibson out of jail, pointing out where more bodies might be buried. Investigators didn't find anything, just like several previous searches from the Ohio River to Monroe County, IN. They won't be getting any more help from Gibson in the near future.
"They can continue their investigation," Floyd County Prosecutor Keith Henderson said, "but it's not going to be with anything further or any further statements made by this defendant."
At the request of Gibson's attorney, a judge agreed the court must know more about Gibson's mental state before allowing him to talk to anyone outside the jail. Henderson said while the evaluation is not unusual, limiting speech is, but it's also for the good of the case on both sides.
Gibson is facing two possible death sentences for allegedly killing three women. Appeals in his type of case can go on for years, which is why Henderson said making sure Gibson is mentally stable now is so important. "Because as the case moves forward, especially if it got to the point being on appeal, then we want to make sure that it's a clean case," said Henderson.
Henderson also said asking to silence Gibson was initiated in part because of the amount of information he was giving police and the letters he sent to WAVE 3 stating he killed Christine Whitis, 75, Karen Hodella, 45, and Stephanie Kirk, 35. In the notes, Gibson said he wants to be put to death.
Gibson's trial is expected to begin in February. An exact date will be set later this week.