Three Wounded, Three Arrested In Bullitt County Shooting

By Craig Hoffman

(SHEPHERDSVILLE, Ky., September 6th, 2004, 11 p.m.) -- As many people in Kentuckiana took time to celebrate the long Labor Day holiday weekend, others used it to apparently settle a score. Three men are behind bars and three others are recovering from shotgun wounds. WAVE 3's Craig Hoffman has the story of the potentially deadly incident in Shepherdsville and how it all unfolded.

It's quiet now at Bullitt Central High School off Highway 44. But Sunday night, Shepherdsville Police rushed to the school after gunfire broke out in the parking lot.

Homeowner Mark Timmell lives across the street.

"Yeah, when we looked out saw cop cars with lights on, all the ambulances. People was already starting to scatter when we looked out there," said Timmell.

Detectives say an ongoing feud had been festering between two men and their friends. About 10:30 p.m., both sides called each other out. Shepherdsville Police Detective Brent Dawson explains what happened next.

"One of the persons from one side jumped out of vehicle with a shotgun," said Dawson. "He immediately goes to the passenger side of the victim's vehicle and puts the gun in one of the victim's faces."

Seconds later, one victim pushed the shotgun away and it went off. An 18-year-old man was hit in the face and head. A 19-year-old in the truck was shot in the shoulder and a 21-year-old suffered a serious forearm wound.

Shepherdsville Police charged 44-year old Walter Curtis Rich with assault for the shooting. Nineteen-year-old Jason Head and 21-year-old Anthony Sanders stand accused of helping in the attack.

Police say one victim was able to wrestle the shotgun away from suspect Curtis Rich. When that happened, police say Rich went back to the car and grabbed a rifle. The victims sped away before any more shots could be fired.

"The victims are extremely lucky -- they're still alive," said Dawson.

And neighbors feel lucky too. "I have a four-year-old, so we was worried. Keeping her in here with us in case they got out and started shooting again," said Timmell.

Two of the three victims received treatment in the emergency room at University Hospital Sunday night. The suspects were scheduled to be in court in Bullitt County Tuesday morning.

Online Reporter: Craig Hoffman

Online Producer: Charles Gazaway