Deadly amounts of carbon monoxide force hotel evacuation

Published: Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:39 AM EDT|Updated: Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:51 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

JEFFERSONTOWN, KY (WAVE) – A malfunctioning gas burning appliance caused the Fairfield Inn & Suites in Jeffersontown to evacuate.

Carbon monoxide detectors went off around 1:40 p.m. at the Fairfield Inn & Suites at 1220 Kentucky Mills Drive causing everyone to evacuate.

According to Major James Sebastian of the Jeffersontown Fire Department, the levels of carbon monoxide were high in the structure, some close to 400 ppm, but it varied from floor to floor.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said at sustained CO concentration above 150 to 200 ppm, disorientation, unconsciousness and death are possible.

Less than 50 people were staying there at the time of the evacuation and the hotel made other arrangements for those guests.

Major Sebastian said no one was treated for health concerns. Firefighters wore self-contained breathing masks while inside.

It is still not safe for people to stay there but the state fire marshal has been contacted to inspect it, said Major Sebastian.

For more information on carbon monoxide poisoning, visit the Carbon Monoxide Information Center on the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission's website.

Copyright 2014 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.