LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – A van caught fire, prompting the evacuation of a day care in downtown Louisville Thursday afternoon.
Glenn Masden, the owner of the Chevrolet Astro, said he had just picked up his fiancé and was heading south on Preston Street when he saw flames in the dashboard, pulled over and got out of the van near the intersection of Jacob Avenue, one block away from WAVE 3 News.
The assignment staff at WAVE 3 News noticed the flames and employees ran over to help evacuate the day care next door.
Everyone was able to exit the day care safely and took shelter in the WAVE 3 News garage while Louisville Fire & Rescue crews worked to put out the flames.
Masden said he had only had the van about three weeks and was not sure what sparked the flames.