Campbellsville Fire Capt Tony Grider dies after injury in ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Published: Sep. 20, 2014 at 5:24 PM EDT|Updated: Sep. 27, 2014 at 5:24 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CAMPBELLSVILLE, KY (WAVE) - Fire Captain Tony Grider passed away Saturday after being injured in the line of duty last month while helping a group of students at Campbellsville University do the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, according to Supporting Heroes.

Capt. Grider, 41, had been hospitalized for his injuries since the incident on August 21. He was severely shocked by an arc of electricity, along with another firefighter, while they were in a fire truck bucket that got too close to high-voltage power lines.

[PREVIOUS STORY: Family members of injured Campbellsville firefighters give update, thank public]

"He was trying to do a good thing and that's all that matters," Okolona Fire Battalion Chief Jody Craig said.

Capt. Grider is survived by by his wife, Gena, and five children. He served the Campbellsville Fire Department for 16 years.

Within the hour of his passing, dozens of fire trucks, ambulances and police cars pulled into University Hospital. They showed up to escort Grider to a funeral home 100 miles away in Columbia, KY.

[RELATED STORY: Firefighters gather for procession to escort body of fallen comrade]

American flags hung from highways as the convoy drove by.

"We've been here 24/7 ever since he came in and uh, there's no greater bond that what we share as firefighters," Lyndon Fire Captain Rich Bliven said. He rode along as part of the My Brother's Keeper Motorcycle Club. 

Funeral arrangements are pending and we will update this story when more information becomes available.

[PREVIOUS STORY: Vigil for shocked firefighters being held around the clock]

Campbellsville Fire Chief Kyle Smith issued a statement on his passing which reads in part:

"His family would like to sincerely thank all of those who have been there for them following this tragic accident. They would also like to thank each and every firefighter that has been with them at the hospital as well as the staff from Supporting Heroes. Thank you to all of the doctors and nurses at the University of Louisville Hospital who cared for Tony throughout his stay at the hospital.

"Our fire department is equally grateful. We thank all of those listed above and also thank the Campbellsville community, Campbellsville University and the fire departments from across the nation that has provided support."

The other man severely injured in the incident, Simon A. Quinn, 22, was released from University Hospital Monday, September 15. Two other firefighters, Captain Steve Marrs, 37, and Alex Johnson, 28, suffered less serious injuries and were treated at the Taylor Regional Hospital and released.

Copyright 2014 WAVE 3 News. All Rights Reserved.