Attorney identifies driver shot, killed on I-71

Published: Feb. 26, 2015 at 4:24 AM EST|Updated: Mar. 5, 2015 at 4:24 AM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
The shooting happened around 9 a.m. in the southbound lanes of I-71. (Source: Air 3/WAVE 3 News)
The shooting happened around 9 a.m. in the southbound lanes of I-71. (Source: Air 3/WAVE 3 News)
Christopher L. McCullum (Source: LMDC)
Christopher L. McCullum (Source: LMDC)
Mukhtar Ahmed (Source: Family attorney)
Mukhtar Ahmed (Source: Family attorney)

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – The man shot and killed while driving on Interstate 71 Wednesday morning has been identified by his family's attorney.

Mukhtar Ahmed, 41, an immigrant from Pakistan, had just dropped off his daughter at school when he was shot by another driver in the southbound lanes of I-71, near the Gene Snyder Freeway, around 9 a.m., according to Ahmed's family attorney.

Khalid Kahloon, a friend of the family, said Ahmed was a husband and father of a 13-year-old girl and two boys, ages 8 and 5.

Kahloon said the Pakistani American community in Louisville was devastated after learning of his death.

"He was a very peaceful man. They can't understand he would do anything to agitate anyone," he said.

A few hours after the shooting police arrested Christopher McCullum, 43, and charged him with murder in connection to the shooting.

Investigators said the shooting appeared to be a completely random act of road rage and that there is no connection between McCullum and his alleged victim.

"Someone tragically lost their life and we don't have the opportunity to ask them about what had occurred," Louisville Metro Police Chief, Steve Conrad said.  

We tracked the chief down at a function in Butchertown. He faced questions about the city's latest homicide with few answers.

"We really don't know the motive," he explained.

But a source told WAVE 3 News, investigators believes this incident was road rage. McCullum says he's self employed on his Facebook page, the owner of A&J's Electric. He also states he was in U.S. Navy.

We went to the address police have on record. A woman there told us he hadn't lived there in two years.  Neighbors knew him and saw the police cars there Wednesday morning. They didn't want to go on camera, but told us police had been there before.

His arrest record shows weapons, theft and drug charges.

This homicide comes after three others were killed in the city in less than 24 hours. The Chief promised us he'd be able to answer more questions about the violence Tuesday morning.

"We've had 20 homicides so far in our community, this time last year we'd had two," Conrad said.

Copyright 2015 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.