Louisville City FC tops Toronto

Louisville City FC tops Toronto

(Louisville City FC release )

Toronto, CA (August 1, 2015) — Three second half goals from Louisville City FC (11-3-5, 38 points) allowed the visitors to overcome a frustrating opening 45 minutes, with a 3-2 win on the road. Despite trailing at halftime to Toronto FC II (4-10-3, 15 points), Lou City claimed their sixth straight win behind some strong performances off the bench and some new faces on the score sheet.

Even though Matt Fondy was given a great opportunity to score his thirteenth goal it would be Toronto who would strike first. In the 21st minute the flag went up for offside on the Reds, but no whistle was blown due to the ball being played by a Louisville City player. To the bewilderment of Louisville City, play continued and Mohalm Babouli slammed it past Scott Goodwin.

Louisville appeared out of sorts the rest of the first half, and the two teams went into halftime with the 1-0 scoreline.

The second half was a different story. Louisville City continued to create chances until they finally broke through in the 58th minute of play. Fondy received the ball deep in the attacking third and left it for Kadeem Dacres at the top of the box who rocketed his shot past the outstretched hands of the Toronto keeper. With the game now level Lou City continued to push on the front foot and pressure the home side.

Ten minutes later, the visitors would take the lead. On the third straight corner of the sequence, newly signed Kevin Cossette sent a dangerous ball in the box that Conor Shanosky headed towards goal. The ball would find Fondy who's shot rattled the wood work, but bounced kindly to Niall McCabe, who slotted it home to the right corner of the goal. It was the Irishman's first goal in a Louisville City uniform, coming at a crucial point for Louisville, but to the consternation of the Toronto keeper no whistle was blown for possible contact in the box.

Louisville City would temporarily extend their lead to two goals when Bryan Burke ended a galloping run down the right flank, with his first goal of the season. The right back calmly placed it near post and into the back of the net, making it 3-1 to the visitors.

Toronto would make things interesting in the 81st minute when the ball took a wicked bounce past Goodwin. The goal was credited to Jordan Hamilton and breathed some life into the TFC II team. However, Louisville City would hang on to complete the perfect road swing.

Louisville City FC returns home on Wednesday August 5, for a rematch with FC Montreal.