BCSO: Student confesses to threatening to bomb middle school
HEBRON ESTATES, KY (WAVE) - A juvenile has confessed to threatening a Bullitt County middle school.
The Bullitt County Sheriff's Office said it could not release additional information about the suspect because of his or her age, but investigators found the threat to be a hoax.
On Monday, the principal of Hebron Middle School sent a letter to parents, saying a note containing a threat to bomb the school had been found during the afternoon dismissal.
Principal Kelland Garland said every precaution was being taken to ensure the safety of students. The building was searched and found to be secure.
In addition, Garland promised to expel the student from school, seek criminal prosecution against the child, and seek financial restitution from the student or his or her parents. Garland estimated the cost to be between $8,000 and $16,000, depending on the threat's affect on attendance.
Here is the principal's letter in its entirety:
Dear HMS Parents,
I want to make you aware that during afternoon dismissal today we discovered a note with a threat to bomb our school. As you are probably aware, there have been a large number of these incidents throughout the state the last few months and, clearly, the intent is to disrupt our school day and the educational process. We believe that total transparency is the best solution for our community.
I have discussed the implications with district personnel of this decision for transparency. These may include drastically lower attendance and some uneasiness among the parent community. However, we can assure you that every precaution is being taken to ensure student safety despite our belief that this is simply another hoax. The building was searched and was found secure.
We would like to give notice that, though this might be just a "hoax" to the person or persons responsible, it is actually a crime - a felony crime. Should we discover who is responsible, we will most definitely do three things. First, we will seek criminal prosecution that may well lead to jail time and a life-long criminal record. Second, we will expel the student from our school. Third, our district will seek financial restitution from the student and his or her parents for damages incurred. Depending on the effect (sic) on attendance, these damages will amount to between $8,000 and $16,000. So, parents, please discuss with your children the very serious nature and consequences of this activity that causes fear in our school and community because these charges can be assessed against not only the student, but the parent/guardian, as well.
Our office has an open-door policy where we encourage students to be advocates for safety. Please communicate to the staff if anyone has information regarding this threat to tell a staff member of HMS. We were made aware of this note by a student and I am extremely proud of them for their actions and courage. It is through the quick actions of our students that we are able to maintain a safe learning environment.
Our first priority is, and always will be, student safety. Though we find this note completely without credibility, we will conduct a thorough investigation each time it occurs and take all appropriate actions.
Kelland Garland, Principal
Copyright 2015 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.