LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - A southern Indiana man has been charged with committing nine armed robberies in Louisville and police say another person was involved in seven of the holdups.
Demetrius Leandy Greene, 29, of Jeffersonville, IN, was arrested at Louisville Metro police headquarters at 8 p.m. May 24. Greene had been taken into custody about four hours earlier by the Jeffersonville Police Department SWAT team at a Motel 6 just off Interstate 65.
Arrest reports say Greene is charged with robbery cases that were committed over a 15 day period during May:
- May 9 - Speedway, 6821 Southside Drive
- May 9 - Circle K, 9200 Dixie Highway
- May 12 - Rodeway Inn, 571 Phillips Lane
- May 17 - Rodeway Inn, 571 Phillips Lane
- May 17 - Ramada Inn, 2912 Crittenden Drive
- May 17 - Subway, 3314 Preston Highway
- May 18 - Speedway, 4547 Taylorsville Road
- May 23 - Penn Station, 300 W. Woodlawn
- May 24 - Speedway, 4900 Outer Loop
An arrest warrant issued for Greene on the May 23 robbery says while his co-defendant acted as a lookout, Greene took one of the victims into the office at gunpoint and forced them to open the safe. The co-defendant, Shawn Lee Evans, 41, of Louisville, was arrested about six hours after the robbery and told police of Greene's involvement.
Greene remains in custody at Louisville Metro Corrections on a $100,000 cash bond. In addition to one count of robbery, Evans was also charged for possession of meth and marijuana at the time of his arrest, along with parole violation. Bond is set at $50,000 cash.
Both men will be back in court June 3.