LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - The Louisville Metro Police Department has released a list of parking restrictions and road closures that will be in place during Friday's memorial service for Muhammad Ali.
No Parking/No Stopping:
- Main Street-1st to 4th
- 3rd Street-River to Market
- 1st Street-Witherspoon to Main
- 3200-3300 Block of Grand Avenue
- Washington Street from 6th to 7th
The Louisville Convention and Visitors Bureau says, due to normal business parking, there will be virtually no parking available near the KFC Yum! Center for ticket holders. Two options will be available free for ticket holders.
+ How to watch Friday's Muhammad Ali memorial events
+ Mourners pack Kentucky Expo Center for Muhammad Ali prayer service
+ SLIDESHOW: Janazah service for Muhammad Ali
+ Thousands say goodbye to Ali at Islamic service
+ Scalpers look to profit from Ali's death by selling free funeral tickets
+ VIDEO: Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer reflects on his favorite Ali pic
+ VIDEO: Ali shares religious, political, racial insights in 1974 interview
+ SLIDESHOW: Great black-and-white Ali photos
+ SLIDESHOW: In the ring with The Greatest
+ SLIDESHOW: Through the years: From Cassius Clay to Muhammad Ali
+ 27 great Muhammad Ali quotes
+ WAVE 3's John Ramsey recalls lifelong friendship with Ali
+ Louisville friends spent The Greatest's final hours praying, hoping
+ Ali's friends tell how he took on the neighborhood bully
+ Politicians offer condolences following Ali's death
+ Special Muhammad Ali Section
Parking will be available at the Kentucky Expo Center, where a shuttle will run to the memorial. Parking will be available starting at 7:30 a.m., and the shuttle will start running at 8:30 a.m. A return shuttle will run at the end of the service. You must present a ticket to the memorial to ride the shuttle either way.
TARC will provide free rides on all routes Friday to passengers with tickets for the memorial. More than a dozen TARC routes stop within a few blocks of the Yum! Center.
Roads along the procession route will be closed temporarily as the procession passes. The first closures are expected between 9:30 a.m. and 10:15 a.m.
- Bardstown Road North from 4501 to the Watterson Expressway Westbound
- Watterson Expressway Westbound to I-65 Northbound
- I-65 Northbound to I-64 Westbound
- 9th Street- From I-64 to Muhammad Ali Boulevard
- Muhammad Ali Boulevard from 9th Street to 34th Street
- 34th Street from Muhammad Ali Boulevard to Grand Avenue
- Grand Avenue from 34th to 32nd
- 32nd Street from Grand Avenue to Broadway
- Broadway from 32nd to Cave Hill Cemetery entrance
- 2nd Street will be closed between River and Main at 10:00 am and remain closed until approximately 6pm.
- 3rd Street will be closed between River and Main at 10:00 am and remain closed until approximately 6pm.
- Main Street will be closed after the public event, at approximately 4:00pm, to facilitate the traffic and pedestrian flow.
- 6th Street will be closed between River and Main at approximately 3pm and will remain closed until mid-evening.
- Washington Street will be closed between 6th and 7th at approximately 3pm and will remain closed until mid-evening. Meters will be bagged as well on Washington Street according to above schedule but traffic will be allowed to flow until 3pm on Washington Street.
Passengers cannot be picked up in the restricted area after the event. Police encourage the public to use shuttles. Taxis will also be available on Market Street between 2nd and 3rd streets.
WAVE 3 News will provide complete coverage of Muhammad Ali's funeral procession and public memorial service at the KFC Yum! Center on Friday. Those events can be viewed at the following links: