Louisville woman arrested for allegedly leaving dog to die

Louisville woman arrested for allegedly leaving dog to die
Tesha Hatfield (Source: LMDC)
Tesha Hatfield (Source: LMDC)

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - A Louisville woman is facing charges of cruelty to animals and failure to control an animal.

Tesha Hatfield, 31, was arrested July 13 on a 2015 warrant for failure to control an animal. Hatfield also had a warrant out for a 2014 case.

According to court documents, Hatfield was the owner of a dog that she left on her third floor balcony without food, or water, causing the dog's death. On June 16, 2014, an Louisville Metro Animal Services officer said it was 90 degrees out that day and neighbors had called complaining about the dog being left out.

More From WAVE3.com
+ Get the latest WAVE 3 Storm Tracking Team forecast  
+ Corrections officer accused of sexually assaulting inmate  
+ Former police commander named Metro Animal Services head

Darla Partlow saw the dog on Hatfield's balcony.

"That dog had been out, that had been a couple three days it had been out," Partlow said.

Partlow didn't see the dog on the balcony the next day and looked in the nearby dumpster.

"I open the dumpster and this (dumpster) was pretty full," Partlow recalled. "She had put it in a white bag."

Partlow said she would throw food up to the balcony, but it still breaks her heart that the dog was not given better conditions.

The dog was removed from the dumpster by LMAS and sent to University of Kentucky diagnostic lab for a necropsy. It was determined that the dog died from dehydration and starvation.

On Nov. 3, 2015 an LMAS officer said Hatfield failed to control her pitbull, causing injury to another woman. Hatfield's dog allegedly attacked the victim's small terrier-breed dog and the victim intervened and was bit by Hatfield's dog on her arm.

Neighbors identified Hatfield as the owner of the dog, which was involved in another attack investigation. Court documents say Hatfield denied she owned the dog and said she did not know owners.

Warrants were issued for the two cases, but it took two years for Hatfield to be arrested. Partlow is grateful and said she hopes her former neighbor never gets another animal again.

Hatfield only spent a few hours behind bars at Metro Corrections before she was court-ordered released. WAVE 3 News did try to reach Hatfield for comment and was not able to speak with her.

Copyright 2016 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.