Sheriff: Dangerous man surrenders peacefully, now off the streets

Sheriff: Dangerous man surrenders peacefully, now off the streets
Published: Aug. 16, 2016 at 8:46 PM EDT|Updated: Aug. 16, 2016 at 9:16 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Sheriff Buddy Stump (Source: James Thomas, WAVE 3 News)
Sheriff Buddy Stump (Source: James Thomas, WAVE 3 News)
Kirsten Edmondson (Source: KSP)
Kirsten Edmondson (Source: KSP)

TAYLORSVILLE, KY (WAVE) - A dangerous man wanted for animal cruelty, arson, kidnapping and robbery is finally back behind bars. Michael Grubb, 39, turned himself to the Spencer County Sheriff's Office around 3 a.m. Tuesday.

The Spencer County Sheriff's Office had been looking for Grubb for several weeks. The search turned even more serious on Monday when investigators thought a woman could be in danger.

Multiple charges turned into multiple high-risk warrants for Grubb.

"We've been trying to get him apprehended and get him off the streets as fast as possible," Sheriff Buddy Stump said.

Grubb, Stump said, is no stranger to law enforcement in Spencer County. He has family in the area. Kentucky State Police say he also has ties to Jeffersonville, Ind.

+ Convention Center renovation project to add to downtown traffic woes 
+ Victim of Beechmont neighborhood shooting dies  
+ Child found in deplorable conditions, parents arrested

In late July, Grubb is accused of starting a large fire less than 12 feet from a home on Cecil Noel Road in Bloomfield. He's also accused of killing two dogs at the same location. The remains of the dogs were found In a nearby burn pile.

One week later, a man accused Grubb of kidnapping him at gunpoint at his Mount Eden home on Murphy Lane. He also fired a shot at the victim's foot, but missed. Court documents show Grubb told the victim that after he finished smoking a bag of meth, he would take him out and kill him. The victim was able to get away.

"We've been pretty aggressively searching for him for over two weeks now," Stump said.

Police had reason to believe Grubb was in the Mount Washington area on Monday. Kentucky State Police put out a media alert after investigators believed Kirsten Edmond son may have been held against her will.

Early Tuesday morning Grubb surrendered at the sheriff's office after investigators were able to get him on the phone. Edmonson showed up too, but the sheriff won't say if she was kidnapped.

"I guess he was just tired of running, so he decided to turn himself in," Grubb said.

Spencer County does not have a jail, so Grubb is being held at the Shelby County Detention Center on numerous charges including
kidnapping, robbery, wanton endangerment, arson and cruelty to animals.

Copyright 2016 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.