UPDATE: Crews fight fire at Galt House
LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - Fire crews extinguished a fire early Saturday morning at the Galt House Hotel.
Officials said they were called to the Galt House shortly after 5 a.m. when smoke was reported on the 23rd and 24th floors.
Below the 25-story building, a row of fire trucks lit up the early morning outside of the Galt House Hotel. Crews battled a fire inside the hotel one day before a planned New Year's Eve celebration.
Louisville Fire Chief Gregory Frederick said crews found flames coming out of an electrical closet on the 23rd floor.
Galt House officials said sprinklers extinguished the fire. After the fire was out, Frederick said the next step was ventilating the hotel and checking for extensions and hot spots.
The old side of the Galt House Hotel was affected by the fire, officials said. All rooms above the 19th floor were vacant at the time of the fire.
"That helped us out we didn't have any rescues or anything which in a high-rise hotel is probable," Frederick said,
Guests were evacuated while a safety inspection took place and have now been returned to their rooms safely and without incident, Monica Edwards, the VP of Public Relations for Doe-Anderson, said in a statement.
All restaurants are open for business and all events will proceed as scheduled, including all New Year's Eve festivities, Edwards said.
The Galt House Hotel planned a New Year's Eve celebration and are happy the fire will not change any plans.
"We are excited that the hotel is fully operational," Galt House Director of Sales and Marketing Dave DiSalvo said. "The fire has no impact on our services. Our restaurants are open, our lounges are open and we are all ready to celebrate this event. We are excited to ring in the new year."
The fire was categorized as a two-alarm fire, which means the firefighters called for extra equipment. No injuries were reported.
"We were wondering what happened and so we headed down to the front desk and they told us they were evacuating," hotel guest Jeff Windland said.
Windland was staying at the Galt House and had morning plans to join a Bourbon Distillery tour.
"You could tell it was probably an electrical fire from the smell," Windland said.
Windland says he and other guests waited in the lobby for about an hour and a half while Louisville firefighters ventilated the hotel.
"We pressurize the stairwells with fans. Once we do that, it forces the smoke out," Fire Chief Gregory Frederick said.
Windland made it to his tour and said his visit to Kentucky was not ruined by the hotel fire.
Di Salvo said it was an eventful morning, but the show will go on.
Copyright 2017 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.