Camm Jurors Say They Were Swayed By Medical Evidence

Published: Mar. 8, 2006 at 4:42 AM EST|Updated: May. 30, 2006 at 2:43 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

By James Zambroski

(BOONVILLE, Ind.) -- Jurors in the David Ray Camm murder case say medical evidence more than the much talked about blood spatter testimony convinced them Camm was guilty of murdering his family.

During a wide ranging press conference held after the panel recommended a life without parole prison sentence, the panel took questions from reporters who had gathered inside the courtroom in Boonville where the trial was held.

"Whatever happened to Jill could not have happened at anytime after 7:30 p.m. that night," said Robert Crowell, the jury foreman and spokesman for the group.

The time line of Jill Camm's nonfatal injuries "showed that it wasn't Boney" who inflicted them, Crowell said.

Medical testimony from Dr. Tracy Corey, the Kentucky Medical Examiner and Dr. Betty Spivak, a forensic pediatrician who works with Corey, indicated that Jill Camm suffered blunt force trauma injuries to her genitalia consistent with sexual molestation.

Spivak told the jury she believed the injuries happened up to 24 hours prior to Jill's death from a
gunshot wound to the head. Both experts testified that the injuries had to happen with the 5-year-old's clothing removed. Jill Camm was found slain still strapped in the car seat of her mother's Ford Bronco on September 28, 2000.

Kimberly Camm and her son, Bradley, were found shot to death nearby on the garage floor of their Georgetown, Indiana home.

"Once the when was established, then we drew our own conclusions from that," Crowell said.

Floyd County Prosecutor Keith Henderson said the molestation of Jill Camm was the motive for the
murder. Mrs. Camm was planning to leave her husband after discovering the molestation, Henderson had told the jury. Camm murdered them to prevent that and to avoid the scandal of his former colleagues on the Indiana State Police force from learning that was the reason for Mrs. Camm's departure with her children.

It was only during closing arguments that Henderson point blank said that Camm molested his daughter.

A previous ruling by the Indiana Court of Appeals that overturned Camm's first conviction held that the molestation issue could only be raised if the prosecution found more evidence than they had in the first trial.

Henderson believed he met that requirement with expert testimony from Corey, Spivak and others during the state's case.

While there was no direct evidence that Camm sexually abused his daughter -- he was not charged with that crime -- Warrick Superior Court Judge Robert Aylsworth allowed Henderson to make those assertions during his closing statement to the jury.

Aylsworth ruled in the closing days of the trial that if the jury disagreed with Henderson's argument, he would be "punished" by an unfavorable verdict.

Defense lawyer Katherine 'Kitty' Liell said the molestation claims were inflammatory and improper and will be the center of her appeal of the conviction.

Perhaps sealing Camm's fate was the jury's perception that little defense testimony was presented to counter the molestation claims.

"There really wasn't anything that was very strong from the defense side that went against that
evidence," Crowell said.

One witness, former medical examiner Dr. George Nichols, testified for the defense, saying he
disagreed with Corey and Spivak's interpretation of Jill's injuries.

The blunt force trauma came from the child being kicked or struck with an object, Nichols said.

But that did little to persuade the jury, Crowell said.

"I personally believe that David Camm pulled the trigger," he said.

Online Reporter: James Zambroski

Online Producer: Michael Dever