With the temperatures below freezing, a vehicle becoming disabled can make for a life or death situation.
Following are a few tips you can follow that could save your life:
- Before you leave check the weather forecast and let someone know your route of travel.
- Always keep your gas tank full when driving in cold weather.
- Carry a winter survival kit in your car which is to include: blankets, flashlight, extra batteries, brightly colored cloth, sand or a bag of cat litter, shovel, candles and matches, non perishable high calorie foods, (nuts, raisins, and candy bars), newspapers (for insulation), a first aid kit and jumper cables.
- Do not leave your car if stranded, it is your best protection. Do not panic, an idling car only uses one gallon of gas per hour.
- Roll down a window a very small amount for fresh air.
- Make sure the car's exhaust pipe is not blocked to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Leave your dome light on.
- If at all possible carry a cell phone, and call 911.